The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences wasn’t too happy when the hashtag #OscarsSoWhite was going around in 2016, so it decided to go with so diverse instead.
With over 928 invitees to the academy this year, the folks behind the Oscars aren’t playing with y’all. They have truly made an effort to increase their diversity with the latest additions.
The new class is 49 percent female this year, bringing the total percentage of women in the academy to 31 percent, bumping it from last year’s 28 percent, according to People magazine.
The number of invitees has also been increasing yearly, thank God. In 2015 there were 322; 2016 had 683; and last year there were 774 new members. If it wasn’t for Twitter, I don’t know where we’d be. Do we really need hashtags to make conscious decisions?
The academy also released a cute video from current members welcoming the new class. Ava DuVernay, Whoopi Goldberg, Lupita Nyong’o and Lee Daniels were among those included in the video.
Now, if you’re still wondering which of your faves were invited, here are some of the performers in this year’s group:
- Dave Chappelle: Chi-Raq, Robin Hood: Men in Tights
- Taye Diggs: Rent, Chicago
- Danai Gurira: Black Panther, Mother of George
- Tiffany Haddish: Girls Trip, Keanu
- Regina Hall: Girls Trip, Scary Movie
- Corey Hawkins: BlacKkKlansman, Straight Outta Compton
- Rashida Jones: Celeste and Jesse Forever, The Social Network
- Mindy Kaling: Ocean’s 8, A Wrinkle in Time
- Daniel Kaluuya: Black Panther, Get Out
- George Lopez: Rio, Real Women Have Curves
- Trevante Rhodes: 12 Strong, Moonlight
- Jada Pinkett Smith: Girls Trip, Set It Off
- Amandla Stenberg: Everything, Everything; The Hunger Games
- Tika Sumpter: Southside With You, Get On Up
- Quvenzhané Wallis: Annie, Beasts of the Southern Wild
- Damon Wayans: Bamboozled, Major Payne
- Michael K. Williams: Inherent Vice, 12 Years a Slave
The 91st Oscars will take place on Sunday, Feb. 25, 2019.