The NAACP announced the nominees for the 49th NAACP Image Awards on Monday.
Hosted by Anthony Anderson, the Image Awards “celebrate the accomplishments of people of color in the fields of television, music, literature, and film, and also honors individuals or groups who promote social justice through creative endeavors.” This year’s star-studded event will take place on Martin Luther King Jr. Day and will air live on TV One.
Here is a breakdown of the major categories:
- Ava DuVernay
- Bruno Mars
- Chadwick Boseman
- Chance the Rapper
- Issa Rae
Who will win: Issa Rae, because she’s rooting for all the black people.
Who should win: Chadwick Boseman. I’m not just saying that because I hope he’ll see this and send me tickets to the Black Panther premiere. I just know that all of black America is already so excited about the movie. Plus I am hoping that Boseman sees this and sends me tickets to the Black Panther premiere.
- Ballers (HBO)
- Black-ish (ABC)
- Dear White People (Netflix)
- Insecure (HBO)
- Survivor’s Remorse (Starz)
Who will win: Black-ish is one of the biggest shows on television, and Anthony Anderson is hosting, so they can’t have him standing there looking silly.
Who should win: Insecure, just for dividing the country into #TeamMolly and #TeamLawrence.
- Anthony Anderson, Black-ish (ABC)
- Aziz Ansari, Master of None (Netflix)
- Dwayne Johnson, Ballers (HBO)
- Keegan-Michael Key, Friends From College (Netflix)
- RonReaco Lee, Survivor’s Remorse (Starz)
Who will win: Anthony Anderson, because everyone watches Black-ish and it is funny. Everyone says they watch Master of None, but no one wants to admit it’s kind of boring. And not funny.
Who should win: Ballers. I don’t watch it. I just want to see Tyrese Gibson crying in another Instagram video to Dwayne Johnson.
- Danielle Brooks, Orange Is the New Black (Netflix)
- Issa Rae, Insecure (HBO)
- Loretta Devine, The Carmichael Show (NBC)
- Niecy Nash, Claws (TNT)
- Tracee Ellis Ross, Black-ish (ABC)
Who will win: Issa Rae, for bringing everyone’s homegirl to life.
Who should win: Tracee Ellis Ross. We just want to see her dress.
- Greenleaf (OWN)
- Power (Starz)
- Queen Sugar (OWN)
- This Is Us (NBC)
- Underground (WGN America)
Who will win: Queen Sugar, because it’s good.
Who should win: Underground, for the Harriet Tubman speech.
- Kofi Siriboe, Queen Sugar (OWN)
- Mike Colter, Marvel’s The Defenders (Netflix)
- Omari Hardwick, Power (Starz)
- Sterling K. Brown, This Is Us (NBC)
- Terrence Howard, Empire (Fox)
Who will win: Kofi Siriboe, because women vote, too.
Who should win: Sterling K. Brown, because he made you cry that time.
- Jurnee Smollett-Bell, Underground (WGN America)
- Kerry Washington, Scandal (ABC)
- Rutina Wesley, Queen Sugar (OWN)
- Taraji P. Henson, Empire (Fox)
- Viola Davis, How to Get Away With Murder (ABC)
Who will win: Rutina Wesley, because no one even thinks of her as a vampire anymore.
Who should win: Viola Davis, because she is Viola Davis.
- Brian McKnight, Genesis (SoNo Recording Group)
- Bruno Mars, Versace on the Floor (Atlantic Records)
- Charlie Wilson, In It to Win It (RCA Records/P Music Group)
- Jay-Z, 4:44 (Roc Nation)
- Kendrick Lamar, DAMN. (TDE/Aftermath/Interscope)
Who will win: Kendrick Lamar, because he might come.
Who should win: Jay-Z, but he’s not coming.
- Andra Day, Stand Up for Something (Warner Bros. Records)
- Beyoncé, Die With You (Columbia Records/Parkwood Entertainment)
- Ledisi, Let Love Rule (Verve Label Group)
- Mary J. Blige, Strength of a Woman (Capitol Records)
- SZA, Ctrl (RCA Records/Top Dawg Entertainment)
Who will win: Mary J. Blige, because everyone loves Mary J. Blige.
Who should win: SZA, because she overcame an astonishing lack of vowels in her name to get the nomination.
- Andra Day, featuring Common, “Stand Up for Something” (Warner Bros. Records)
- Charlie Wilson, featuring T.I., “I’m Blessed” (RCA Records/P Music Group)
- Kendrick Lamar, featuring Rihanna, “LOYALTY.” (TDE/Aftermath/Interscope)
- Mary J. Blige, featuring Kanye West, “Love Yourself” (Capitol Records)
- SZA, featuring Travis Scott, “Love Galore” (RCA Records/Top Dawg Entertainment)
Who will win: Mary J. Blige, featuring Kanye West, because Kanye will bring Kim, and according to a 1954 law, there must be one white woman at every black party.
Who should win: Kendrick Lamar, featuring Rihanna, because we all want to see Rihanna.
- 4:44, Jay-Z (Roc Nation)
- DAMN., Kendrick Lamar (TDE/Aftermath/Interscope)
- Genesis, Brian McKnight (SoNo Recording Group)
- In It to Win It, Charlie Wilson (RCA Records/P Music Group)
- Strength of a Woman, Mary J. Blige (Capitol Records)
Who will win: Charlie Wilson. The NAACP’s constituency skews a little old, and old black people love to put on their all-white outfits and go to Charlie Wilson concerts.
Who should win: DAMN. It’s better than 4:44 by a hair.
- Detroit (Annapurna Pictures)
- Get Out (Universal Pictures)
- Girls Trip (Universal Pictures)
- Marshall (Open Road Films)
- Roman J. Israel, Esq. (Sony Pictures Entertainment)
Who will win: Get Out. Hands down.
Who should win: Get Out. Girls Trip was funny, but the NAACP doesn’t strike me as voting for sophisti-ratchet.
- Algee Smith, Detroit (Annapurna Pictures)
- Chadwick Boseman, Marshall (Open Road Films)
- Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out (Universal Pictures)
- Denzel Washington, Roman J. Israel, Esq. (Columbia Pictures)
- Idris Elba, The Mountain Between Us (20th Century Fox)
Who will win: Daniel Kaluuya. Everyone saw Get Out.
Who should win: Chadwick Boseman. I really want those tickets.
- Amandla Stenberg, Everything, Everything (Warner Bros. Pictures/Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures)
- Danai Gurira, All Eyez on Me (Summit Entertainment)
- Halle Berry, Kidnap (Aviron Pictures)
- Natalie Paul, Crown Heights (Amazon Studios)
- Octavia Spencer, Gifted (Fox Searchlight Pictures)
Who will win: I have no idea. I only saw All Eyez on Me.
Who should win: No one from All Eyez on Me.
The one-hour live red carpet and the two-hour live awards show will air on TV One on Jan. 15, 2018.